授業概要 Course Description
Having sound awareness of cultural diversity and practicing cultural sensitivity has become one of the key crucial factors in our everyday life, business and international relations.
This leads us to some challenging yet interesting questions – what is involved in understanding and accepting different cultures? How do we cultivate and show cultural awareness, respect and tolerance? How do we move forward when there are ‘differences’ in opinions and approaches in multicultural business environment? In what situations, can cultural diversity become useful resources or assets’?
Those questions may sound simple but require some good reflections as well as practice and learning in our everyday life. Being mindful of the diverse backgrounds and various ways of doing things will greatly help us to make sound judgement and responsible choices in all aspects of work.
This class offers unique opportunities for students to cultivate appreciation for cultural diversity and practice cross-cultural communication skills through various group work, including nurturing a better understanding of themselves and others.
到達目標 Class Goals
By the end of this course, students will:
(1) Have better understanding of differences and similarities of various cultures;
(2) Develop awareness of diverse viewpoints and perspectives including understanding how our perceptions have been shaped and influenced;
(3) Understand the important role of intercultural understanding in various situations such as multicultural work-places, business and international relations;
(4) Learn and apply practical skills on cross-cultural communication through various exercises;
(5) Nurture better understanding and appreciation of self and others.
【1】Introduction to the Course and Learning Guides:
【2】Defining Culture and its Dimensions: values, beliefs, customs and much more
【3】Stereotypes, Prejudice and Perceptions: What shapes our opinions and viewpoints
【4】Case Study ①: Overseas Assistance at the Great East Japan Earthquake
【5】Cultivating Awareness of Diversity: Perspective-taking and understanding Self and Others
【6】Case Study②: International conflicts in South Sudan
【7】Case Study③: Peace agreement, negotiation and trust-building in South Sudan
【8】Communication Process in Multicultural Settings: Practical tips and skills
【9】Business and Cultural Dimensions
【10】The Art of Listening and the Power of Questions
【11】Preparation for group presentations
【15】Reflections on the Course and Summary